Monday, May 2, 2011

Bitter Sweet

Last night started like any other.  Dread of Monday morning work set in.  I took some Nyquil...which was dual purpose.  One, because I have this annoying thing that wants to turn in to a cold...but it just won't.  And Two...because I never call fall asleep Sunday nights.  I went to bed as planned, only to wake up to Casey telling me the news about Osama Bin Laden.  Obviously the first thing that went through my mind was complete disbelief.  After all, it's 12:30 in the morning and I was just awakened from my slumber.  So I get on my phone and open up the most reliable news source I could think of.  Facebook, or course.  Everybody and their brother was talking about it with joyous celebration.  All accept two people.  One of which was a minister, and one was someone like me.  The kind of person that skips the celebratory phase and looks forward to the "oh crap...what does this mean for our country" phase. 

Think about it.  To those crazy extremists, Bin Laden was their "God".  He was their leader.  What would happen if our Leader was shot dead??  Would there not be some retaliation?  I can't celebrate.  First of all, I can't celebrate ANYONE's death.  Because yes, its a good thing...but he was still someones son.  Someones father.  Someones brother.  And while he was quite possibly the spawn of Satan himself...he was still a life.  And more importantly I can't celebrate because I fear what is yet to come.  We got rid of #1...but there's always #2...and all the other extremists.  People, regardless of religion are passionate.  When you mess with someones passion and beliefs they tend to take it very seriously.

I'm afraid for Obama.  I'm afraid for our soldiers.  I'm afraid for our country.  I think people might have been a little too quick to celebrate.  I fear that it's like a basketball game that you think you have in the bag...until someone like Christian Laettner from 1992 makes the last second shot to win the game. 

I hope and pray that things remain okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment