Monday, December 20, 2010

BBQ Pork

Over the weekend we hosted a Christmas Vacation Christmas Party.  I debated for several days about what to fix and finally decided on Pulled BBQ Pork in the Crockpot.  I got the recipe off of Food.com, formally Recipezaar.com.  I love that site.  At first I had some sticker shock from the meat - $18 for almost 11 pounds.  Basically the recipe is the following:

4 lbs pork shoulder or butt (As you can see I upped the meat quantity so I upped the other ingredients too)
2 Lg onions sliced
1 cup of Ginger ale

Put in Crockpot and cook for 12 hours on low.  I put it in before bed and let it cook overnight...which was fine if you don't mind waking up to the smell of meat...which at 7:15 in the morning isn't the most pleasent smell.  After the 12 hours, you drain all the juice (from the melted fat, and ginger ale) but before you do that you save the onions.  Next you pull the pork apart...which after 12 hours the pork is the most amazingly tender, juicy piece of meat you'll ever consome.  After you've pulled the pork you add an 8 oz bottle of BBQ sauce and continue to cook on low for 1-2 hours.  I did this slight differently than the recipe called for but it was still delicious. 

So, as for the sticker shock...Yes it was $18...but I put two meals worth in  two different ziplock bags.  Plus we had it at the party.  Plus we had it for lunch and dinner last night.  So, for $18 we're essentially getting several meals out of it.  And it was amazing.  A-Maze-Ing!!!  I love my crock pot!!!!

In the words of Yo Gabba Gabba..."try it, you'll like it."  or "There's a party in my tummy, so yummy so yummy"

Have a great Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment