Monday, December 27, 2010

Adventures in cooking…

You know, I decided a few things this weekend. I enjoy cooking if only:


1. I was rich. Cooking is expensive and eating out is so much cheaper.


2. I had a bigger kitchen. I tend to be like a tornado so I leave a mess in my wake…and I need space.


3. I had all the pots, pans, and utensils I needed. It’s a breeze when you have all those things…not so easy breezy when you don’t.


I also decided it’s a REALLY bad idea to read food blogs when you’re hungry. It ranks right up there with going grocery shopping when you’re hungry…only it may be worse because everything I read about sounds good then I decide to go to the store and get it all to make! Darn you food bloggers!!!


I was going to make a nice Bolognaise, but a good bolognaise is time consuming…and expensive to boot, so I went with a simple tomato sauce recipe…and by simple I mean literally 3 ingredients! That’s it. It was good…and truly simple but maybe a bit too simple. It was amazing with garlic bread however!! I stumbled on this recipe after researching restaurants in Lexington because I found this blog and in that blog I found this post  It was truly intriguing. However, while I was at the store I remembered this recipe so how could I resist a good chocolate chip pecan pie. As if I needed to get any bigger. BUT…since my New Years resolution is to eat better (not diet…eat better…healthier…smarter) I figured I’d end the year with a bang!! Eat all the crap I can get my hands on now while the getting is good! As I’m checking out I can’t figure out how my grocery bill could be so astronomical…because I think I could have checked out in the 15 items or less line and been okay…until I realized that pecan pies are a tad bit expensive…and by tad I mean a lot! I added a little bourbon to the pie to make it a little more Kentucky. And I even used a KY bourbon to make it authentic. It was good but I think maybe a little runny. Although apparently you have to let a pecan pie cool…and I was maybe a tad impatient. Casey said it was great though…he even told me to save the recipe.  I guess that's a good thing.  I will have to decide for myself.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment